Who knew a bottle of hand sanitizer could be so dangerous?
A car burst into flames Thursday after a Maryland motorist unwisely used hand sanitizer while smoking.
A harrowing video taken from a news chopper shows the vehicle smoldering in a parking lot as firefighters rush to douse the blaze.
“Using hand sanitizer and smoking a cigarette is a bad combo in unventilated areas like a car,” a Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Service official told the local ABC affiliate.
The crew responded to the freak inferno, which occurred around 5:30 p.m. at the Federal Plaza Shopping Center in Rockland.
According to official reports, the unnamed driver was smoking a cigarette and then started using his germ-killing Elixer, which ignited and set the whole car aflame like an impromptu Molotov cocktail.
That might be due to the fact that hand sanitizers contain a large amount of alcohol — around 60% ethanol or 70% isopropanol, which makes the personal hygiene product highly flammable.
Fortunately, the motorist was immediately transported to the hospital, where he was treated for minor burns and other non-life-threatening injuries.
Unfortunately, the driver’s vehicle and his bottle of sanatizer were torched beyond saving.
Watch Car Bursts Into Flames After Driver Unwisely Uses Hand Sanitizer
ICYMI (~530p) vehicle fire at Federal Plaza, 12200blk Rockville Pike, near Trader Joe’s & Silver Diner, @mcfrs PE723, M723, AT723 & FM722 were on scene (news helicopter video) pic.twitter.com/TeAynaGsgp
— Pete Piringer (@mcfrsPIO) May 13, 2021